Sean Li, M.D. specializes in interventional pain management. His clinical interest is in neuromodulation therapy such as spinal cord stimulation, high frequency stimulation, dorsal root ganglion stimulation and peripheral nerve stimulation. “Advancements in neuromodulation therapy is offering new hope and freedom to patients who have been imprisoned by their pain,” Dr. Li said.
Prior to joining National Spine & Pain Centers, Dr. Li served as the medical director of Premier Pain Centers LLC. In addition to his work at National Spine & Pain Centers, Dr. Li continues to serve as an attending physician at Riverview Medical Center in Red Bank, NJ. He has published numerous professional articles and written text book chapters on the topic of pain and is actively involved in clinical research that will help advance the field of interventional pain medicine.
Dr. Li serves on the Ethics Committee at the American Society of Interventional Pain Physicians, the Education Committee and Young Neuromodulators Committee at the International Neuromodulation Committee, on the Mentoring Committee for the North American Neuromodulation Society, and is secretary of the New Jersey Society of Interventional Pain Physicians.
Dr. Li earned his medical degree from the State University of New York at Stony Brook and underwent residency training in general surgery at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, MN and later in anesthesiology at the University of Michigan in Ann Arbor, MI. He completed his fellowship in interventional pain medicine at Johns Hopkins University in Baltimore, MD.
“Having trained in general surgery and anesthesiology, interventional pain medicine is a perfect career choice for me to apply my surgical skills and understanding of pain pathophysiology to treat patients suffering from chronic pain,” he said. “It is my job to help patients find a clear diagnosis or cause of their pain and advocate for the best treatment with the most evidence and least risk.”
In his free time, Dr. Li enjoys traveling, playing with his sons and pretending to be a foodie.
- Doctor of Medicine (with recognition in research), School of Medicine, State University of New York at Stony Brook, NY
Residency & Internship
- Residency: General Surgery, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN
- Anesthesiology, University of Michigan, An Arbor, MI
- Internship: General Surgery, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN
- Fellowship: Interventional Pain Medicine, Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, MD
- Diplomat of the American Board of Anesthesiology
- American Board of Anesthesiology Sub-Specialty Certification in Pain Medicine
Professional Distinctions & Awards
- American Society of Anesthesiology
- American Society of Interventional Pain Physicians
- Clinical Associate Professor, Department of Anesthesiology, Rutgers New Jersey Medical School, Newark, NJ
- International Neuromodulation Society
- New Jersey Society of Interventional Pain Physicians
- North American Neuromodulation Society
- Phi Beta Kappa